The Crooked Ladle
CLASSIC CHEESECAKE - Dense & Rich
BEST ALMOND CRUSTED NEW YORK STYLE CHEESECAKE - A timeless indulgence
Best Almond Crusted New York Cheesecake
Don't shy away from making a classic New York cheesecake because they are really so easy to make and you will be rewarded with such an impressive delicious dessert. I'm smitten with this rich hearty New York cheesecake recipe and the fact the crust includes crushed almonds which enhances the flavor and provides kind of a different crust texture. This cheesecake has become a favorite of family and friends who've been fortunate to be served this slice of heavenly goodness. I hope you enjoy it!
Serves: 10 to 12
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
· Electric mixer with bowl
· Food processor or electric blender
· 9 inch spring form pan
· 2 medium bowls
. 2 small bowls or cups for eggs
. Measuring cups and spoons
· Drinking glass with flat bottom
· Rubber spatula
· Stir spoon
· 1 cup crushed graham crackers (about 8 double graham crackers)
[For gluten free version, use gluten free graham crackers or gluten free ginger snaps]
· 1 cup crushed sliced almonds
· ¼ cup sugar
· 1 cube melted butter
Note: I find that if you cut several slices in the butter, the butter melts faster than if it is one solid piece. Your microwave might also have a butter melting feature.
· 4 - 8 ounce blocks of cream cheese, softened
Note: The cream cheese should be soft enough so that you can press the back of a small spoon into it easily.
· 4 large eggs (separate yolks and whites and keep at room temperature)
· 1 1/4 cup sugar
· 2 teaspoons vanilla
1. Prepare a 9 inch springform pan by spraying it with an oil spray of your choice (I use butter flavor for this recipe).
2. Crush the graham crackers in the food processor and place them into a separate bowl.
3. Crush the almonds in the food processor and add to them to the bowl with the crackers in it.
4. Add the sugar to the same bowl as the almonds and crackers and mix well.
5. Pour crust mixture into the springform pan and pour the melted butter in the springform pan a little at a time, while mixing the ingredients around to combine the butter until all ingredients are slightly damp. Evenly spread the crumbs around the pan.
6. With the bottom of a drinking glass (preferably with a flat bottom), press the damp crumbs all around the bottom of the pan, making sure that it is as even as possible and not too thick at the juncture point of the sides and bottom of pan. Do not expect the crumb mixture to reach the top portion of the rim. There will likely be enough to go up about an inch from the bottom of the pan.
1. Beat egg whites in mixer on high until whites are stiff and until the peaks stand straight up when the beater is lifted.
2. With mixer on low, add chunks of cream cheese a little at a time until somewhat combined.
3. With the mixer on medium add only two yolks one at a time (you will not be using the other two yolks).
4. Add the sugar and vanilla into the mixer.
5. Continue mixing well until mixture is somewhat smooth. However, do not over whip as you want to avoid getting too much air in the mixture.
6. Pour the cream cheese mixture into the pan and prepared crust.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until mixture firms up and does not wiggle much when you gently shake the pan.
8. To help reduce cracking on the top of the cheesecake, then turn off the oven and leave the pan in the oven another 45 minutes. Then if you have the patience, crack the oven door open and let the pan set for another 45 minutes in the oven.
9. After the pan cools on the counter, place it in the refrigerator and serve after several hours or overnight.
Optional: Serve slices with caramel sauce or a pie filling such as cherry or strawberry.
The Crooked Ladle
Savor the taste...