Easy Ham and Cheese Quesadillas Please - Only Five (5) Ingredients
Easy Ham and Cheese Quesadillas
I don’t think there are as many foods that are as versatile as Quesadillas. You can have them for dinner with a salad. You can eat them for lunch or you can serve them up as an appetizer with Margaritas. Did I say Margaritas? While we’re on the topic, check out my Pineapple Margaritas recipe via this link. It’s sublime! There are also so many different ingredients you can use in your Quesadillas; so I've given you more ideas at the bottom of this page. I chose to demonstrate the Ham and Cheese version because these ingredients are often already in one's refrigerator. And you can store flour tortillas in your freezer for up to eight months if stored properly. So go ahead and have fun with this.
Makes: 2 Whole Rounds or 8 slices
Serves: 2 for dinner or lunch
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5-6 Minutes
· Large skillet
· Cutting board
· Sharp knife
· Measuring cup
· Measuring spoons
· 4 large flour tortillas (or whole wheat tortillas for a healthier version)
· ¾ cup shredded cheese or 3 slices of cheese (your favorite cheese)
[Choose your favorite cheese. I used sliced Muenster but Mixed Mexican, Monterey Jack or Cheddar shredded would all work great].
· 6 Slices thinly sliced lunch ham
· 4 Teaspoons Canola oil
· ½ cup sour cream
Optional – Guacamole for topping (store purchased or homemade). Check out my homemade guacamole recipe here.
1. Lay out one flour tortilla on a cutting board. Arrange the ham to cover the tortilla. Then arrange the cheese slices or shredded cheese on top of the ham.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large skillet on medium high heat and spread the oil around with a paper towel.
3. Once the oil is heated, carefully lift the one tortilla that has filling on it with a spatula and lay it in the skillet onto the hot oil. Place the other tortilla on top of it.
4. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes. Gently, partially lift the tortilla lip to see if it has lightly browned. Once it has browned and the cheese has at least partly melted, with a spatula, carefully flip the tortilla and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
5. Remove the tortilla with a spatula from the skillet and lay on a paper towel and pat gently to remove any excess oil, if any. [The tortilla should not be oily]. Lay onto a cutting board and cut into four pieces and plate immediately. Place a dollop of sour cream and/or guacamole on top of each slice. You can find my homemade Guacamole Ole recipe here.
There are any number of ingredients one can use to make Quesadillas. Below are other ingredient versions of Quesadillas I encourage you to try:
Chicken, cheese and bacon with optional red onion
Shredded beef, cheese with yellow onion, cumin and salt and pepper
Shredded pork, cheese with yellow onion, cumin and salt and pepper
Veggie - cheese, corn, beans, onion, green onion with taco seasoning
Have fun with it and enjoy!
The Crooked Ladle
Savor the taste