The Crooked Ladle
STUFFED MUSHROOMS, Filled With Walnuts and Cheeses
MUSHROOMS STUFFED WITH WALNUTS AND CHEESES - Tasty and tender appetizers with unexpected rich flavors.
MUSHROOMS STUFFED WITH WALNUTS AND CHEESE
These guilt-free yummy morsels taste indulgent and satisfying in every way. It's a wonderful texture ride beginning with the suppleness of the mushroom, followed by rich creamy cheese and finishing with a surprise walnut crunch. Plus, I love that these nibbles offer something different than a more ordinary appetizer. While they make a wonderful appetizer, I've been known to also serve these as a side dish when I want to shake up my side dish offering. And for keto or gluten-free fans, this lovely recipe falls into the repertoire of the keto or gluten-free worlds.
Serves: 3 or 4
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 to 23 Minutes
. Medium skillet
. Medium bowl
. Cookie/baking sheet
. Measuring cup
. Measuring spoons
. Chopping knife
. Paring knife
. Stir spoon
12 medium/large size mushroom caps, cleaned and stems removed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup finely chopped shallot
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts
1 large garlic clove, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon
3/4 cup fresh baby spinach, well chopped (remove long stems)
1 ounce Feta cheese, well crumbled
1 ounce Gruyere cheese, well crumbled
2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Add the olive oil and butter to a medium size skillet and bring to a mild heat.
2. Add the chopped shallots and sauté over medium heat until lightly cooked about 12-15 minutes.
3. Add to the shallots, the chopped walnuts and garlic and cook for another couple minutes.
4. Add to the skillet, the chopped spinach and cook for another 5 minutes stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly. Stir in cheeses, dill and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place the mushroom caps with the cavity side up, in your desired fashion, on a cookie/baking sheet.
7. Evenly stuff the mushrooms with the spinach, walnut and cheese mixture.
8. Set the baking dish in the middle of a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until the filling is lightly browned and the mushrooms are heated through.
The Crooked Ladle
Savor the taste