MEDITERRANEAN COD FISH, Ingredients can be found on the Island of Crete
MEDITERRANEAN COD - Enjoy this meal as though you were dining in Crete
Don't get left out...include yourself in partaking in an authentic Mediterranean meal. Cod is a firm, mild and flaky fish, once cooked. This white fish dish pairs well with a simple side of rice that can soak up the tasty tomato and mushroom cream sauce. I like to serve the fish right on top of the rice, but my husband likes to just keep neighbors side-by-side on his plate. Now, if it were me, I'd pair this meal with a lovely Chardonnay wine.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
. Food processor or mixer
. Large frying pan
· Cutting board
. Dinner plate
· Large mixing spoon
· Sharp knife
· Measuring cups
. Measuring spoons
· 4 cod fillets
. 2 cups white or cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
. ¼ cup heavy cream or Half-n-Half for a healthier fare
. 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
. 1 - 14.5 ounce canned diced tomatoes - Pulse the entire can in a food processor with 7 -8 quick single pulses or mix in a blender briefly. The intent is to just slightly crush the tomato pieces so you can only see a bit of the tomato cube definitions.
. 1 tablespoon capers
. 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (for the cod)
. 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (for the mushrooms)
. Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Season both sides of the cods with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons plus one teaspoon of the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat and place the fillets in the pan. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through and remove the fillets to a plate to rest.
3. Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in the same pan on low to medium heat. Once heated, add the sliced mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are sweating (this occurs when the natural water in the mushrooms begins to seep from the mushrooms) and the mushrooms have shrunk in size a bit. Stir during the heating process. This takes 7-8 minutes.
4. Add the chopped garlic, stir to mix and cook for another minute or so.
5. Add the canned tomatoes, capers and cream into the pan. Stir gently to mix all ingredients together just a minute or so.
6. Return the cod to the pan and spoon liquids with vegetables over the cod until covered and cook another couple of minutes.
Recommend serving with a simple rice side dish.
The Crooked Ladle
Saver the Taste...
The Crooked Ladle
Savor the taste