The Crooked Ladle
JICAMA SALAD - A Refreshing Multi Colored & Multi Flavored Side Dish/Lunch/Dinner
JICAMA SALAD - Complimented with avocado, oranges and more freshness
For me, this Jicama Salad is truly refreshing. Each time an ingredient is added, it clearly enhances the overall flavor and topped with the light zesty dressing, energizes the taste buds. This root vegetable, originally from Mexico, has a multitude of health benefits such as it is high in vitamin C and fiber and low in sugar and calories. If you are a jicama fan, I hope you try this recipe out.
Serves: 4 - 6
Prep Time: 30 minutes
· Medium serving bowl
. Cutting board
. Measuring cup
. Measuring spoons
. Chopping/slicing knife
. Large stir spoon
· 1 jicama, medium (should make no more than 2 cups) peeled and cut up to 1 ½ to 2 inch in length and no thicker than ¼ inch
. 2 oranges or 2 cups, peeled and cut into about one-inch pieces
. 2 large avocados or about two cups, peeled and cut into about one-inch
. 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
. ½ cup red onion, sliced thinly to about ½ - 2 inches in length
. 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped well or even minced if you prefer
. 2 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
. 2 tablespoons lime juice (about 2 limes)
. 2 tablespoons honey
. 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
. ½ teaspoon salt
Note: I only used half of this very large jicama
Preparing Jicama –
1. To prepare the jicama, begin cutting the jicama in half or four equal parts depending on how large it is as they can get pretty big. The one I’m using for this blog is huge.
2. Next, with a sharp knife, peel the off the tough skin. Peelers generally don’t work well for peeling a jicama because of the tough skins which is why I use a sharp knife.
3. Once the jicama is peeled, cut pieces into match stick size pieces and no thicker than ¼ inch.
4. Place cut pieces into a medium sized serving bowl.
All other Ingredients -
1. Add to the serving bowl, with the jicama already in it, the rest of the sliced/chopped ingredients [red onion, oranges, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado] one at a time and gently mix after each addition to the bowl.
Salad Dressing –
Mix all dressing ingredients together in a small picture or even a dressing bottle if you have one and viola that’s all there is for this light and tasty dressing just perfect for the salad ingredients.
The Crooked Ladle
Savor the taste...