Hot Caprese Spread - A Magnifico Spread
Hot Caprese Spread ... I Dare You to Eat Just One Serving
Hot Caprese Spread
The Italian word, Caprese, is pronounced as Cah-prey-zee, but no matter what the pronunciation, this spread has always been a star appetizer. Guests who take their first serving inevitably return for more. An added benefit is that this spread is so easy to put together, taking just about ten minutes before you pop it in the oven. Additionally, the spread is very versatile in terms of how you can use it. You can serve this spead with any toasted breads, firm crackers, or use it as a nice dip for vegetables. I've even taken leftovers and heated the spread over noodles which was magnifico. Have fun with it and enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
· 1 to 1.5-quart oven proof serving dish
· Chopping board
· Medium bowl
· Stir spoon
· Sharp knife
· 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
· 8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
· 6 ounces cream cheese (from brick)
· 1 cup sour cream
· 1 cup diced Roma or cherry tomatoes
· ¼ cup pesto
(preferably fresh but jarred is okay)
· 1 teaspoon garlic powder
· Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Fresh finely chopped basil for garnish after baking.
Note: For this recipe, I used my homemade pesto which I had previously frozen into tablespoons. I used 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of pesto.
My recipe for fresh pesto is linked here.
1. Place the cream cheese in a medium bowl and soften it in the microwave for about 20-25 seconds on high until softened so that it mixes easily.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the tomatoes and stir to combine well.
3. Spray your oven proof dish with non-stick spray. Add the cheese mixture to the oven proof dish and spread evenly.
4. Sprinkle the diced tomatoes on top of the cheese mixture and bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 20 minutes.
Optional: Garnish top with finely chopped basil.
Serve immediately with firm crackers, vegetables or toasted baguette slices/crostini
The Crooked Ladle
Savor the taste