Easy Potato Patties Topped with Smoked Salmon
Captivating Eye Appeal and Satiating Taste
This recipe is brilliantly simple using pre-shredded potatoes versus using whole potatoes that require grating. It’s deliciously healthy and a unique dish to be served for either an appetizer or at a brunch.
Potato Patties with Smoked Salmon
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 to 10 Minutes
· Skillet (one or two depending on your approach referred to below)
· Medium bowl
· Stir spoon or whisk
. Cutting board
. Sharp knife
. Kitchen scissors
· Measuring cup
· Measuring spoons
· 2 ½ cups shredded potatoes
(fresh in a bag, not frozen)
· Smoked salmon, cut to about an inch in size (thin slices are preferable)
· 1 egg
· 2 tablespoons flour or gluten free flour
· 2 tablespoons butter
· 2 tablespoons canola oil
· 8 small dollops sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
· 8 capers
· Salt and pepper
Optional Topping –
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1. In a medium bowl, add the flour and egg and hand mix to combine well. Add the shredded potatoes and salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine well. Set aside.
2. With the skillet on a low heat, melt the butter and then add the canola oil and stir a bit.
3. After bringing the heat up to a medium high heat, with your hands create a potato patty about three inches round and place it in the heated oil/butter combination. I recommend only four patties per pan. Cook each side about 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Feel free to flatten the patties with a spatula if you’d like.
You can cook the patties all at the same time using two skillets (four patties in each pan) so the patties stay hot. If you cook with one skillet, the first batch tends to cool down. If you do choose to use just one skillet, keep the first batch in a warm oven on a cookie sheet until all patties are cooked.
4. Briefly, place the patties on a paper towel before plating them to reduce the oil.
5. Place a smoked salmon piece on each patty, followed by a dollop of the sour cream and a single caper on each. As an option, you can sprinkle chopped chives on the patties and around the serving dish, which gives it a beautiful finished look.
The Crooked Ladle
Savor the taste